J.O. Sims passionately supports the initiative
STOP FOOD WASTE
J.O. Sims’ chef Lawrence is pleased to share with you two recipes using fresh cherries, helping to prevent any food waste from these beautiful fruits.
Cherry Barbecue Sauce
Prep Time = 30 Mins
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 28g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 270g fresh dark sweet cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 235g ketchup
- 150g brown sugar
- 75g cider vinegar
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp Smoked paprika
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the butter until tender.
- Add the garlic; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cook, uncovered, over a medium-low heat for 20 minutes or until the cherries are tender and the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally.
Chocolate Chip Cherry Blondies
Prep Time = 1 Hour
- 120g unsalted butter, melted
- 160g light brown sugar
- large egg (beaten)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- 80g chocolate chips
- 200g fresh cherries (stones removed)
- Preheat oven to 175c (160c Fan)and line an 8 by 8-inch cake tin and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium microwave safe bowl (about 60 seconds).
- To the melted butter, add brown sugar and combine.
- Add the beaten egg and the vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Add the flour and salt, stir until combined, taking care not to over mix as the blondies will be tough.
- Gently fold in the chocolate and cherries (you can leave these whole or halve them if you prefer smaller pieces).
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and smooth lightly.
- Bake for 27 to 32 minutes or until the edges begin to slightly pull away from the sides of the tin and the centre is set.
- Allow to cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Click here to find out more about J.O. Sims STOP FOOD WASTE initiatives!